Friday, December 15, 2006

Love and the Consolidation of Man, version 1



One of the most painful parts of living in rural Oklahoma is the lack of art simply for its own sake. I'm cringe listening to people purchasing Wal-Mart prints to match their sofa. What makes this subject so excruciating isn't however what you would think. It isn't the total lack of an art world in my college town but the existence of an art world without forum that is so disheartening.

Last night I attended the Senior Show of artist Zachary Presley. The show was an impressive collection of mixed media collages and photographs. A collection made more impressive by the short breadth of time it actually represented and the fact that he's currently being shown in Oklahoma City as well. His piece titles, like so many artists, made me smile. The title of this blog is the closest that I can remember... I'm not trivializing or making fun... I mean how are you supposed to say what a work means in less than 10 words?

The crowd was young and excessively hip.... especially the blonde who seemed to be the center of attention until my friend arrived with me... But...they weren't art people... which is what my little town is missing. They were college students, artists, professional cool people... And they played their parts well... very well. But where was the rich middle aged woman who sees herself in every painting? The collectors, the lovers who can't create, and critics... I would have settled for alumni and some professors not from the art department...

Its not the art or the artist that is missing in pastoral urbania my friends... its the audience.

No comments: